Warren County Health Department (WCHD) is a public health agency that is located in Warrenton, North Carolina. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm. WCHD offers health services such as Adult Health, Child Health, Communicable Diseases, Environmental Health, Family Planning, Health Education, Home Health, Immunizations, Maternal Health, and Women, Infants, and Children, (WIC). The mission of the WCHD is to provide services to improve and protect the Health of Warren County Citizens.
To obtain information on health risks, health status, health needs and community resources, call 252-257-1185
|Special Notice Section : Important public information regarding an outbreak or flu pandemic will appear here as needed. Currently there are no special notices.|
Your Warren County Health Department offers the following services:
CHILD HEALTH CLINIC – Mondays and Wednesdays
- Well Child physicals ages birth through twenty
- Problem visits
- Kindergarten physicals
- Daycare physicals
- Sports physicals
- College physicals
- Developmental screenings
- Lead testing and follow up
- Age appropriate education for parents
ADULT HEALTH ANNUAL EXAMS – Thursdays
- Provided for women who do not meet guidelines for BCCCP or Family Planning Clinic
FAMILY PLANNING CLINIC – Thursdays
- Family Planning classes for new patients
- Annual exams
- Problem visits
- Pregnancy tests
- Birth control method education
- Birth control methods
- Depo Provera (birth control shot) offered on additional day
MATERNAL HEALTH CLINIC – Thursdays
- Prenatal Care
- Prenatal Education
- Postpartum Care
BREAST AND CERVICAL CANCER CONTROL PROGRAM
- Breast and cervical cancer screenings for women fifty and over who are not insured or underinsured
- Mammograms provided by a mobile unit on several dates throughout the year by mobile unit
CARE COORDINATION FOR CHILDREN
- Formal case management process for children birth through three
- Serves children with developmental delays or disabilities, chronic illness, or social/emotional disorders
- Children may be referred by anyone
- Program is family-centered
- Seeks to improve access to services
- Health Department is the lead agency in working with other community agencies for these clients
COMMUNICABLE DISEASE PROGRAM
- Investigation and follow up
- Contact investigation
- Reporting diseases to proper State personnel
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
- Food and Lodging, institutional and child care centers inspections for current restaurant inspections results can be found at http://www.wral.com/5onyourside/restaurants/page/1001540
- On-site sewage sanitation (soil evaluations, system inspections, and repair consultations)
- Public swimming pool inspections
- Lead investigations
- Private well water sampling analysis: chemical, bacteriological
- Warren County Environmental Health Fee Schedule, updated August 1, 2011
- NC Environmental Health Section
- View Environmental Health – Online Documents
EXERSTYLE PLUS PROGRAM (high-risk clients)
- Blood Pressure before and after exercise
- Blood Sugar before and after exercise
- 30 minute exercise program monitored by Licensed Practical Nurse
- Suggested lifestyle changes
- Blood pressure screenings
- Cholesterol screenings
- Blood sugar screenings
- Health risk assessments
- Diabetic teaching
- Exercise program
- High-risk exercise program
- Community screenings
- Provides all recommended childhood immunizations at no charge
- Provides adult immunizations; tetanus, flu, and pneumonia
- Annual tracking of county children birth through two to assure immunization compliance
PREGNANCY CASE MANAGEMENT
- Formal case management process for Medicaid eligible for high risk pregnant women
- Assists eligible clients to apply for Medicaid
- Determines client’s strengths and needs including psychosocial, nutritional, medical, educational, and financial factors
- Develops individual plans for each client
- Assists in arranging appropriate services
- Assures continuity of care
- Provides an incentive program for clients
SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES
- Screening tests
- Treatment provided based on protocol and standing orders
- Investigation and follow up with contacts
- Treatment of contacts provided
- Screening tests performed
- Screening questionnaires for high-risk individuals
- Chest x-rays as needed
- Medications provided
- In-home directly observed medication therapy provided
Health Department Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the cost of a visit?
A: The exact dollar amount of the visit is determined by the number of labs that are ordered by the physician. However, the basic cost of the visit can be given. A sliding fee scale is used to determine the cost and is based on a current pay stub and the number of household members. Insurance can be filed for services as well.
Q: What do I need to bring to my appointment?
A: Medicaid card, pay stub, insurance card, and immunization record for children.
Q: Are birth control methods free?
A: Some types are included in the cost of the clinical visit. Methods are discussed at the initial visit to assess the type that is best for you. The attending physician will recommend the method best suited for you.
Q: How can I get my records transferred?
A: You can either go to your doctor’s office and sign a Consent for Medical Records Release, or you can come to the Health Department and sign one.
Q: When can I get a pregnancy test and how much does it cost?
A: Pregnancy tests are given everyday from 8:30-11:30 and 1:00 – 4:00 except Thursdays. For all non-Medicaid clients, the test costs $31.00 and payment is due at time of service.
Q: When can I get a TB skin test and how much does it cost?
A: Skin tests are given everyday except Thursdays from 8:30-5:00. No appointment is necessary. The cost of the test depends on why the test is needed. The cost of the service is $25.00, payable at time service is rendered unless the test is for reasons of disease surveillance. Medicaid may cover the cost of service in some instances.
Q: Can I get my blood pressure checked?
A: Yes, blood pressure checks are free and no appointment is necessary.
Q: Can I get my cholesterol checked?
A: Yes, Mondays and Wednesdays by appointment. The cost of the check is $19.00 and the appointment can be made by calling 252-257-1185.
Q: Can I get confidential testing and counseling for HIV?
Q: Can I get a copy of my child’s birth certificate?
A: No, Official copies of birth certificates are issued from the Register of Deeds office in the county in which the child was born.
Q: Can I get a copy of a death certificate?
A: No, official copies are issued from the Register of Deeds Office in the county in which the deceased died.